When resizing a chart Excel automatically resizes the fonts, almost always in a way that you don't want. For instance, you're probably shrinking some charts so that you can see 4 at a time as opposed to 1. Excel makes the axes and text so small in this case that it's unreadable. There's a quick and easy way to turn off this behavior by default.
- Start->Run-> "regedit"
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Options
- Right click in the right side, New->DWord Value
- Change the name of the object to AutoChartFontScaling
- Double click on the object, and change the value data to "0", hexadecimal base.
- Restart excel and you're done.
All the charts you create from now on will not scale the font size as you resize the chart, by default.
Hat tip to Peltier Technical Services