The United States Bill of Rights grants rights to its citizens. Those rights prescribe freedoms for self-determination. For example:
What Rights Give:
- The right to choose to speak.
- The right to to choose to assemble with others.
- The right to choose to bear arms.
What Rights Don't Give:
- The right to force other people to listen to you.
- The right to force other people to hang out with you.
- The right to force other people to run a gun store to provide you weapons.
I'm making a point about the distinction of rights.
A right gives you the freedom to choose something, but it doesn't force other people to do things for you.I can't perform a coronary bypass on myself, so I need other people to do so. Is it a right to force doctors to do that on me?
Health Care is a privilege, not a right.